1st Blog!

I finally have a blog!!! Let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 27 and I work full-time at a paper company and I go to school part time when it fits my schedule. I have 4 four more classes to take and I will have my Associates in Cooking, Baking and Pastries. I can't wait to finish my classes! I plan to open a Cafe (better than Starbucks) in a nice part of town. My favorite thing to do in Bake! Anything sweet I want to bake it! Here is a picture of a tasty strawberry cake I made and sold! I'll give this recipe later.
Well let me tell you about class last night. Now class is from 4:30pm-9:50pm. That's along time I know but if you love it, it goes by too fast! So the agenda for last night was Sweet Onion Rings, Gratin Fennel, Brussels Sprout with red peppers, and Pan-Fried Eggplant with Tomato Sauce. My team of three each took a recipe that we have to convert into different portions sizes. I took on the Brussels sprouts and red peppers. I'll add that recipe  if some of you really like brussel sprout. They were tasty but not my favorite. The Sweet Onion rings where the GREATEST!!

Sweet Batter Onions Rings

 Here's the 1/2 recipe:
2 qt of cold water
1 c of sugar
1or 2 onions
2 egg yolks
1/2 pt of beer (drink what left)
2 TBSP milk or buttermilk
5 oz flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
2 eggs whites

1.Put the 1 cup of sugar in the cold water to dissolve. Peel, and slice the onions cut crosswise 1/4"  thick and separate the rings then put in the cold water and keep it in there til your ready to fry. 
2. Combine the egg yolks, milk, and the beer in a bowl
3. Put the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl whisk together and set aside
4. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and mix til it is smooth.
5. Whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
6. Fold into the batter
7. Heat the deep fryer to 350F
8. Drain the onions and pat dry.
9. Dredge the onions in flour shake off excess flour if you want to
10. Dip in the batter and then cover it in flour again and then FRY THOSE SUCKERS!

Side note- our group season our flour with salt, and pepper. I threw in some breadcrumbs that we were using from the eggplant in the flour too. I also added a little of the sugar water to the batter for more sweetness. We added cayenne pepper to a few and salt to a few as soon as it came out the fryer. The chef didn't see and our rings were the BEST tasting! The bake shop right next door offer us key lime pie for our food (mostly the onion rings). We accepted the delicious pie.
Have fun with the recipe and leave comments if you like it!




Comments

Yeah the comments are here!!
This cake look durrrrlicious!

Popular Posts