Hannah's Award Winning Rolls

So today I made homemade rolls and they were delicious! I found several cookbooks at an estate sale. Every time I go to a garage sale, antique store, thrift, estate or whatever. I'm looking for cookbooks, baking supplies, and earrings lol. The recipe in this book is called Hannah's Rolls and it won an award. So here is the recipe and I'll add a picture.

Makes 3 dozen

2 eggs
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening
1 c cold water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c warm water
2 pkgs dry yeast
4 c flour

Put egg in a large bowl mix slightly. In a pot mix sugar, salt, shortening and 1/4 cup of water, heat until shortening melts. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup of cold water to cool mixture. Mix sugar, yeast, and warm water (110-115F) Don't kill the yeast! Use warm water from the sink. When it bubbles up it is living.

Combine shortening with eggs, add 2 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Blend together together. Then add 2 more cups of flour. Beat until smooth.

My dough turned out very sticky so I added flour until it formed a non sticky ball. Turn it out on a lightly floured board. Knead it until smooth. Place dough in a buttered or shortening greased big bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put in a warm place to double in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Shape into rolls. Put on a buttered baking sheet. Cover. Let rise about an 1 hour. Bake in preheated oven 375F for 15-20 minutes.

I skipped the let rise for an 1 hour and went ahead and baked them. I had people to feed NOW, lol. They came out with about an 1 inch rise cause I didn't let it rest. So let it rest. It was very delicious though! Happy cooking!!

I need a camera!! Please forgive me for not having pictures!!


Comments

Popular Posts