Sweet Potato Pie Family Recipe

Most people will not give you a family recipe. I feel like if it’s a good recipe and everyone will love it like your/my family does. Share it! No use of letting it die with the grandparents or whomever. I say that because my grandma passed in February. No one knows how to make many of the dishes/desserts she made. Let me add a little history here...I didn't get close to my father or my father's mother until 3 years ago. I would go by almost every day after work and I would call to see how she was doing. She loved to cook and bake just like a lot of my aunts on my mom's side. While over my grandma's house we would watch crime shows, fall asleep in the chair like old people (lol), and discuss recipes, religion, etc. She would let me look at all her recipes and she would give me tips to better my cakes, cookie, or pies. She was very loving and funny! But lord she could curse! I was very grateful to get to know her really well during her last years in life. She taught me a lot!



Which is why I say...Share the recipes! Because all kids don't want to be bakers or cooks and don't care to learn. So that recipe will die with whomever keeps it. I happen to have all my grandma's recipes and I'm using them. She was an EXCELLENT cook and baker!
  

Now here is my aunt sweet potato pie recipe that I am so happy to share with you guys! I make these pies a lot when sweet potatoes are in season. They are so freaking delicious! I always called my aunt to get a walk through on how to make these pies, but now it's finally engraved in my mind. It taste even better when you make your own crust. Make them 1 or 2 weeks early so you don't have to do it the same day. I searched the web for a buttermilk pie crust recipe. I don't even remember if this is the one I used but it will do. Or you can use your own recipe or buy some crust. 

Crust
2 1/2 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
2/3 cup (160 ml) buttermilk, cold

Sweet Potato Filling
4 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 stick of melted butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon to your taste-I add a lot
nutmeg to taste-I add a lot
allspice optional to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Get a big pot and boil your potatoes or bake them. After 20 minutes check the potato to see if it is soft. Use a skewer or a knife and poke it in different place. If it is all soft drain the water. Get a fork and peel the skin. It will come right off! Or you can skin your potatoes cut them in chunks and boil them.
I always add vanilla extract or paste to the boiling water. The smell of the sweet potatoes and vanilla is heavenly!

Put the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and blend on medium. Then add the stick of butter and the heat from the hot sweet potatoes will melt it. Add the other ingredients except the eggs, mix well and taste it. Add more sugar or cinnamon for your taste. Add the eggs and mix. Pour the batter into 2 pie shells and bake for 20-30 minutes. Or until set in the middle. To minimize the sweet potato fibers, blend until the spoons have the fibers on the blades.

This is a very good recipe and you will love the recipe just like my family does!!

















Comments

Popular Posts